Calling for Applications: JWB Singapore Fall/Winter Legal Fellowship 2018
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Justice Without Borders: Singapore Fall/Winter Legal Fellowship 2018
Justice Without Borders (JWB) is welcoming applications for the Fall and Winter Legal Fellowship in its Singapore office. Please click here for more information.
We are looking for applicants currently enrolled in a local LL.B program.
Fellows will engage in legal projects on behalf of victims of labour exploitation, covering Singapore and other countries in the region. As a Fellow, you will take on an active role in one or more projects that may include: identifying and preparing cases for potential litigation, strategic legal research to support future litigation; preparing training courses for Singapore and regional audiences; and participating in evidence and caseworker trainings with our local front-line NGO partners. You will also have the opportunity to coordinate with partners across the region, including Indonesia, the Philippines and Hong Kong, among others.
Please note that the Fellowship is a professional engagement, with students treated as junior staff in the organization. While experience with migrant worker issues is a plus, it is not required. We are looking for students who are interested in our issue area, are self-motivated, can work in a team and are not afraid to take on new challenges outside of their comfort zone.
About Justice Without Borders
JWB is a not-for-profit organisation that supports victims of labour exploitation and human trafficking in seeking just compensation against their abusers, even after returning home. Operating at the regional level, we work with local service organisations along key migration routes to ensure victims can access legal assistance, wherever they are.
In Singapore, JWB develops the networks, knowledge and know-how needed to bring cross-border litigation. We work with local service organisations to screen cases for potential civil claims and with lawyers to both develop cases and conduct strategic legal research that will help clarify currently unsettled areas of the law. We have already assisted locally qualified lawyers in obtaining successful settlements for multiple clients, and we are in the process of developing new cross-border cases for clients with outstanding legal claims.
- Fall Legal Fellow: 10h/week (8h/day, 1day/week in JWB office and 2h/week remotely), from 13 August 2018 to 23 November 2018.
- Priority will be given to those who can commit to both Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 Semester Legal Fellowship Programs, the latter running from 14 January 2019 to 10 May 2019.
- Winter 2018 Legal Fellow: Full-time (8h/day, 5days/week in JWB office), from 10 December 2018 to 4 or 11 January 2019.
- Fluency in English, wit h strong written and oral communications skills
- Strong legal research and writing skills;
- Ability to work well in a team, managing tasks assigned to the entire group;
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks with different deadlines and ability to prioritise work as needed;
- Good time management skills;
- Self-directed, ability to take initiative and actively address issues that come up in the flow of work;
- Have their own laptop with Microsoft Office products and ability to communicate via web applications (email, calendar) throughout the day; and
- Professionalism. JWB treats its Fellows as professionals and entrusts high levels of responsibility in them accordingly.
A note about the job scope
- As we are an NGO (not a law firm), Legal Fellows will be expected to assist in administrative, logistical and non-law related tasks from time to time.
- We may require your presence for 2-3 hours at a time, at 1 or 2 trainings conducted on Sundays or other weekdays, during your Fellowship.
Desirable but not required skills
- Speaking and writing ability in: Bahasa Indonesia or Malaya, Mandarin, or Tagalog;
- Graphic design, photography, video production; and
- Public relations, communications and/or operations.
This is an unpaid fellowship.
Please submit a one-page cover letter, CV and a writing sample of no more than ten (10) pages to Shalini Jayaraj at email@example.com.
Applications are due Friday June 29th 2018.