Calling for Applications for Spring and Summer Legal Fellowships 2018
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
JWB Spring and Summer Legal Fellowships 2018
Justice Without Borders (JWB) is accepting applications for the Spring Semester and Summer Legal Fellowship programmes in its Singapore office.
Fellows will engage in legal projects on behalf of victims of labour exploitation and human trafficking, covering Singapore and other countries in the region. As a Fellow, you will take on an active role in one or more projects that include: identifying and preparing cases for potential litigation, strategic legal research to support future litigation; and preparing training courses for Singapore and regional audiences. You will also have the opportunity to coordinate with partners across the region, including Indonesia, the Philippines and Hong Kong, among others.
Please note that the Fellowship is a professional engagement, with students treated as junior staff in the organization. While experience with migrant worker issues is a plus, it is not required. We are looking for students who are interested in our issue area, are self-motivated, can work in a team and are not afraid to take on new challenges outside of their comfort zone.
JWB is a not-for-profit organisation that supports victims of labour exploitation and human trafficking in seeking just compensation against their abusers, even after returning home. Operating at the regional level, we work with local service organisations along key migration routes to ensure victims can access legal assistance, wherever they are.
In Singapore, JWB develops the knowledge and knowhow needed to bring cross-border litigation, working with local service organisations to screen cases for potential civil claims and with lawyers to both develop cases and conduct strategic legal research that will help clarify currently unsettled areas of the law. We have already assisted locally qualified lawyers in obtaining successful settlements for multiple clients, and we are in the process of developing new cross-border cases for clients with outstanding legal claims.
- Spring Semester Fellow: minimum 10 hours per week between 29 January 2018 to 6 April 2018. At least 5 of the 10 hours per week must be performed in the JWB office (office is at 16 Kallang Place).
- Summer Fellow: 40 hours per week in the JWB office, with priority given to those who can commit to a minimum of 6 weeks.
- Priority given to those who can commit to the Spring Semester and (a) six weeks over the Summer or (b) the Fall 2017 Semester.
- Fluency in English, with strong written and oral communications skills.
- Strong legal research and writing skills.
- Ability to work well in a team, managing tasks assigned to the entire group.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks with different deadlines.
- Self-directed, ability to take initiative and actively address issues that come up in the flow of work.
- Have their own laptop with Microsoft Office products and ability to communicate via web applications (email, calendar) throughout the day.
- Professionalism. JWB treats its Fellows as professionals and entrusts high levels of responsibility in them accordingly.
Welcome but not required
- Speaking and writing ability in Bahasa Indonesia or Tagalog.
- Graphic design and layout skills.
- Knowledge of web site and social media tools, including WordPress, Twitter and Facebook.
Please submit a one-page cover letter, CV and a writing sample of no more than 10 pages to Tammie Koh at email@example.com. Please also indicate if you are seeking priority consideration as noted above (willingness to commit to time beyond the Spring Semester).
Applications are due 8 January 2018.
Questions about the Fellowship? E-mail us today.